Senator Heidi Heitkamp United States Senator for North Dakota

Casework Process

Can Senator Heitkamp Help Me With My Issue?

What is Casework?

Before you contact Senator Heitkamp's office for assistance with a case, you should determine if your issue is something her office has the authority and purview to help you with. The information and examples below can help you decide.

If your issue is with a federal agency, Senator Heitkamp may be able to help you.

Federal Agency Assistance

A federal agency, as the term implies, is an organization that is part of the federal government. These agencies are either:

  • part of the President's cabinet, such as the U.S. Department of Agriculture, or
  • independent agencies, like the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
    If you are unsure if your problem involves a federal agency, visit the White House website or individual agency pages for more information.

If you are having trouble solving a problem you are having with a federal agency, Senator Heitkamp may be able to assist you in working with the agency.

While Senator Heitkamp can't ask the agency to do anything which they are unable to do under law or regulations, she wants you to know that her and her staff will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response. 

Judicial Matters

Because of the Constitutional separation of powers between the three branches of government,  judicial matters (matters that involve the courts) do not fall under her purview as a U.S. Senator. Examples of judicial matters are:

  • child custody
  • divorce
  • criminal trials or imprisonment 

State Government Issues

Issues that involve North Dakota state agencies also are not under Senator Heitkamp's purview as a U.S. Senator, but she would be happy to point you in the right direction. Examples of such problems include:

  • child support
  • motor vehicle registration or loss of license
  • welfare
  • state taxes
  • ND Workforce Safety and Insurance

For these issues, you should contact the Governor's Office for assistance at 701.328.2200 or the appropriate state agency.  If you need help determining the appropriate state agency, Senator Heitkamp's staff would be happy to point you in the right direction.