Each year, Senator Heitkamp nominates some of North Dakota's best and brightest students for admission to the nation’s military service academies, the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado; the United States Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, New York; the United States Military Academy in West Point, New York; and the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.
North Dakota students interested in applying to one of the military service academies for the 2019-2020 school year should send in their applications as a complete package to Senator Heitkamp's Fargo office no later than October 12, 2018. Please see the below Service Academy Application Checklist for the required items.
To be considered for a Congressional nomination, the applicant must have applied to the respective academy/academies by the time of or before their interview. Interviews typically take place the last week of October or first week of November.
- Completed Application Form
- Written personal essay to Senator Heitkamp, explaining your reasons for seeking a nomination to an Academy. Include why you want to be an Officer in the United States Military.
- Attach an official copy of your high school transcript. GPA and class rank must be included.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Copy of ACT and/or SAT scores, copy of the official score sheet is sufficient
- A 4x6 color photograph
- On a seperate document, please provide a detailed resume; include all athletic participation, clubs, extra-curricular activities, accomplishments, awards, volunteer/work experience, hobbies/outside interests and any additional experience.
If you need any assitance, don't hesitate to contact Senator Heitkamp's office by calling 701-232-8030.